College, for many people, is when they discover who they truly are. Oftentimes, we go in dead-set on one career path, which most follow through with until graduation. 

Many students come into college at a young age, not fully prepared for what they want to do in life. What if someone discovers that their major might not be for them, or that there is something else they enjoy doing more? 

Many students come into college at a young age not fully prepared for what they want to do in life.

As a college student, you want to get the most out of your academic career before graduation.

Look no further. RIT offers a solution for all of the dilemmas that may arise, by allowing you to change your major, add a minor and immersion.

Switching Majors

There are a multitude of factors that could cause someone to switch their major. 

Some students discover that they might not be able to handle the academic pressures that come with their initial major, and might want to pursue something else. Or maybe they discover that they do not like the major itself and want to try something new.

On the RIT Registrar website, there is a page that lists links to forms that you are able to fill out,  These are all available to download in a PDF format and can be filled out digitally in your pdf reader, with the exception of your signature, which has to be signed after you print out the form.

On the form, you must fill out information such as university ID number, information about your current academic department and the department you’re transferring over to. 

At the top of the form, it is suggested that it be completed in conjunction with your current academic department and strongly advises that you consult with the new department you plan on going into.

Once the form has been completed, you are allowed to submit it to your new department.

Immersions and Minors 

What if you still enjoy your major but you want to do another one as well?

RIT offers double majors for students who are looking for more. 

The process is simple: just fill out another form that is listed on the same website you go on to change your major.

However, it is worth noting that there are a set of requirements for completing a double major which can be found in RIT's University Policies. 

If a double major might seem like too much pressure, there are minors and immersions that are offered. 

Minors are less pressure than a major, as there are a lot less classes you are required to take in order to complete. 

Immersions are a concentration of three courses in a particular area of academia. They are integrated into your bachelor’s degree, so as a student you must complete one at some point.

The list for minors and immersions can be found on RIT's Immersions and Minors website. Make sure to read carefully which courses you are required to take.

If you have any further questions about all the topics this article covered, make sure to talk to your academic advisor: they are here to help with any questions you have regarding your education.